Getting the most out of Jig
- Connecting to Twitter and Facebook
- Thanking and Agreeing
- Suggestions and Comments
- Adding pictures to Suggestions
- Mobile Apps
- My picture on Jig
- Feedback for Jig
More to do on Jig after your initial foray
- How do I see if a Jig user is active?
- What is ranking on Jig?
- How do I get on the Leaderboard?
- How do I search for Needs I might be interested in or Categories or Geographic location?
- Navigating the Jig tabs on the main page
- How do I get an answer to my Need post if it’s no longer on the main page?
- How do I know if someone has posted an Suggestion or Comment for my Need?
- Why do we send emails on Suggestions and Comments?
- Can I Flag a Need for review by the Jig Team?
- What does it mean to Follow someone vs following a Need?
- What is the difference between Jig and a Q&A site?
- Why should I post on Jig and why should I come back to visit?
- What are Affiliations and Badges and can I get one?
How to make changes to your account
- How do I change the original email address I’d used to sign up on Jig or cancel my account?
Is Jig hiring?
Jig for almost-new users
Think of something you need or want or are curious about, and let the Jig community know!
- Type in your Need in the blank bar next to I Need at the top of the page and press enter or tab or click into the next field.
- If your Need is specific to a place (“I Need to find a good restaurant” and you’re in Los Angeles), type that in to the Location bar and press enter or tab to the next field.
- If there are other bits of information that will help someone to offer advice or information (I prefer spicy food and don’t want to spend a lot of money on the meal, etc.), tab or click on the box marked Details and type in that information.
- When you’re satisfied with the information you’ve given, click on the big orange button marked “Post Need’.
- Once your Need is posted, other Jig users can see the Need and respond with their thoughts and recommendations. When you receive a response that answers your Need, mark it “Solved” so that others will know that you’re happy with the information you’ve received.
For other notes on how to have a great Jig experience, read on…
Click the title of the Need (in this case “to find out how to delete or edit a need I posted”). That’ll take you to a page where you can edit or delete the need if it’s your own.
If you feel that someone has posted a Suggestion to your Need that solves your answer, you can see that there are three big colored buttons below the Need. – choose the green one on the right Solve This Need and the Need will be marked for others to see that you’re happy with the resolution.
You can connect your account to Twitter and Facebook from the Social Sites section on the top of your Settings page. Connecting to Twitter and Facebook automatically connects you with fellow Jig users that you follow on other social networks, and makes it easy to share your needs and suggestions with your friends.
You can Thank someone for their Suggestion by clicking on the word Thank to the right of that suggestion. If you see a Suggestion someone has made for your Need or another person’s Need, click on the word Agree to the right of the Suggestion. This won’t affect anything but show support for what’s been said.
What is the difference between Thank and Agree?
We don’t have a typical “vote up” option on Jig. But you can Agree with answers or Thank someone for their Suggestion or Comment.
Suggestions are most often given with a link to a resource and a brief summary to help answer a Need. Pictures can also be included in a posted Suggestion. For instance, if someone posts a need for outdoor lighting or they want recommendations on toys for a child’s gift, a person offering a suggestion might link to a picture of what they’re recommending.
Comments are used as notes or to ask for more details about what’s been posted to help you and others better answer a Need.
Pictures in Suggestions and Comments are a great way to make your post stand out and show just what you’re thinking about when you post on Jig. They make reading posts friendly, interesting and more fun for other Jig users, as well.
If you include a url in your Suggestion or Comment, a few choices may show up just below the url box. If they do, you may choose from one of those pictures (taken from the webpage you’re referencing) or choose to not include a picture.
If you’d like to simply include a picture you’ve found on the web, you can add in a link to it – but you should make sure the link is to a jpg or similar file.
We’re working on mobile. Sign up for our iPhone app and we’ll let you know when you can try out our beta.
Click your User Name at the top of the window pull down to Settings and scroll down to see the options for adding a photo. If you connect your account to Facebook or Twitter, you can use your profile pictures from those services.
Click on the link at the top of the window and it will open a new window. Let us know what you think—good, bad, or ugly.
How do I find out if a Jig user has a lot of posted needs or answers?
If you click on the photo at the left of a Need or Suggestion, you’ll see the history of that user on Jig, including:
- How many Suggestions they’ve made that were chosen by someone posting the Need,
- How many people they’ve invited to Jig who have accepted the invitation
- How many people are Following this user
- How many open Needs this user has
- How many Suggestions this person has made
- How many times other users have Agreed with a Suggestion they’ve made
- How many times other users have Thanked this user
You’ll also see the total number of Needs this person has posted to Jig (top left of the box), and their Jig Rank.
What is the Ranking on Jig?
We’ve given Jig users something to work toward (yes, we can be a little competitive). If you float over the icon next to number of posts (after you’ve clicked on someone’s picture to learn more about that Jig user), you’ll see a picture that shows that user’s level. You will earn your first “medal” after you post your second Suggestion.
The ratings are:
- Oracle – 50+ Suggestions
- Altruist = 15+ Suggestions
- Maven – 5+ Suggestions
- Seeker – 2+ Suggestions
How do I get on the leaderboard of “Most Helpful” Jig users?
The leaderboard showing the most helpful Jig users algorithm is locked in a vault next to the secret recipe for Coca-Cola. What we can tell you is that it uses a combination of your own activity and what other people think of your content to determine how helpful you are. Most recent activity counts more than stuff you did a few months ago. Posting Needs is also considered helpful.
How do I change my Picture or check on my Privacy settings, or change my Preferences or Password?
You can change any of these things by clicking on Settings, (found on the pulldown menu under your sign-in name).
How do I Search for other Needs that may be helpful or interesting to me?
At the top right of your main Jig page, you’ll see a text box where you can type in a general topic, such as “basketball.” Hit enter and Needs that others have posted on that topic will be shown.
Can I search by Categories or geographic breakdowns of Needs?
Yep. We’re currently working on and refining Categories. This feature is under construction, but may already be helpful if you’re looking for something that falls under one of these categories. If you hover over a topic name (on the right side of your screen), the general information we’ve used to sort Needs into those categories will be shown. If you click on one of the Categories, you will bring up the Needs that we’ve sorted to date.
We’re also working on geographic breakdown of Needs. Stay tuned on this one, we’ll keep trying until we get it right. Thanks!
Can I look up Needs just in a general area, like Silicon Valley or New York City?
What does the Search bar do at the top right of my main screen?
What are the various tabs for on the main page?
The tabs at the top of your main page show Needs that have been…
- Updated – current or recent activity including Suggestions or Comments
- Unmet – posted Needs that haven’t yet been marked Solved by a user
- New – the most current posts
How do I get an answer to my Need post if it’s no longer on the main page?
One of the easiest ways to ensure that people will see Needs you’ve posted is to also post to your Facebook and Twitter friends. When you link your needs to one or both of those accounts, you make sure that your friends can see your questions and perhaps help with answers. It’s easy to sign in to Facebook and Twitter, just click on the link to the right of your Need. You control your preferences and posts.
Additionally, you’ll notice that we have tabs above the Needs on the main page. We invite Jig users to take a look at what’s currently on each Tab and to scroll to see what other folks have posted.
(also see the above answer)
How will I know when someone has responded to my Need?
An email is automatically sent to Jig posters noting that someone has made a Comment or a Suggestion to solve your Need.
Why do I get so many emails?
We are sensitive to how much email traffic people receive nowadays and actively work to send only email that is helpful and informative regarding your posted Needs. If you would like to change the frequency and type of emails we send to you, please go to the Settings pulldown below your name at the top of the page and scroll down to Email Preferences. Save these preferences and you should be all set.
Can I Flag a Need for review by the Jig Team?
You can let us know via the Feedback feature at the top of your screen. It’s helpful if you can copy the URL of the Need into your Feedback. We’ll get right on it!
Don’t worry if you have trouble copying the URL, just let us know what the Need said/the User Name and we’ll find it.
What does it mean to Follow someone vs a Need?
If you choose to connect your Facebook or Twitter account (via the Settings page), it will automatically follow people you know.
If you know someone and/or are interested in their posts generally, you can click on that person’s name and choose to Follow them. This will ensure you receive emails when that person posts on Jig.
When you make a Suggestion or Comment on a Need, you will automatically follow that Need.
What is the difference between Jig and a Q&A website?
As opposed to a Q&A site, Jig is about finding answers to your needs, regardless of how banal or quirky they may be. Jig helps you have conversations about your needs and aims to get you information that may only be useful to you, as easily as possible. Q&A sites are more about general knowledge which is universally truthful for everyone.
Why would I want to post something to Jig and why would I come back?
Jig is a relatively new website. We’ve created it to give visitors a place to solve their needs with help from the Jig community. Everyone is welcome on Jig, so answers can be incredibly diverse and broad-based.
What we’ve found is that posting a Need on Jig is interesting in itself. How you craft your Need may bring really unique and helpful answers.
Posting a Need is great, but seeing the Suggestions and Comments that come back is even more interesting. Once you feel comfortable using the website, you’ll see that helping people can become somewhat addictive. The more you come back and interact with posts, the more rewarding it becomes!
We’re still learning what people want from Jig and how they use it. Send us feedback to help us evolve into the website you to see!
What are Affiliations and Badges and can I get one?
Affiliations allow you to connect a group of users together so that you can easily see who a person is affiliated with as well as find needs from other people who share something in common with you. For instance, if you’re part of the “Des Moines Surf Club” affiliation, you can proudly show off your association to other Jig users, as well as see what others in the DMSC are posting on Jig.
For now, only Jig Staff can create new affiliations. If you’d like an affiliation for a group that you’re a part of, send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Name (20 characters or less)
- 16×16 icon to represent your affiliation (which will become the Badge displayed under the user names of people within your Affiliation)
- Public or private visibility (Badges, or icons, for private affiliations are not visible to users outside the Affiliation)
- Expected number of members
How do I change the original email address I’d used to sign up on Jig?
We know this is a priority for some Jig users and are working on this!
How can I delete my account?
Please send us an email via Feedback and we take care of it for you.
Is Tasty Labs or Jig hiring?
Yes! We’re looking for engineers and encourage you to submit your resume via firstname.lastname@example.org. We post openings to a variety of websites including: